geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Specs organization, versioning, and releasing
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:03:34 GMT
On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> Well, the current activation spec is at version 1.1. When that
> version was bumped from 1.0 (or 1.0.x), you'd have needed to know/
> remember to change the poms in the following specs: geronimo-spec-
> j2ee, geronimo-spec-javamail, geronimo-spec-jaxr, and geronimo-spec-
> saaj.

Yup, you'd need to do some manual version bumping for each
scenario... except for the one version for all specs scenario.

> A question for you, Jason: If someone wants to build our released
> specs from source, what's the process

Should just be, check out the tag'd version(s) and mvn install.
Granted that if you want to build all of the released versions, that
you'd need to svn co each tag.

Personally I'd be happy to just have one version for all specs.  It
does make it easier to release, and to some extent makes it easier on
users too, since they don't need to know what the version
compatibility is for all other related specs. They can just pick one
version and use that for all specs.

  * * *

But... most of the changes that I've got pending can go either way...
like using the same directory name as artifactId, site config, etc...

I'd still like to commit those soon... even i we are still debating
how to manage the versions as a whole.

--jason