geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Specs organization, versioning, and releasing
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:13:39 GMT
As long as we have inter-dependencies between specs (e.g. javamail
depends on activation; jaxrpc on saaj, qname, and servlet; and
especially geronimo-spec-j2ee depends on everything), I'm not
convinced that this really makes things any better...

I agree that your plan is better than the previous plan for multiple
trunks, but I'm not convinced that either plan is actually making
things simpler...

If I understand your proposal, tags/geronimo-spec-jaxrpc-<jax-
rpcversion>/pom.xml will specify the tagged versions of saaj, qname,
and servlet upon which it depends? So, haven't we just split apart
the specification of these version dependencies from a single pom.xml
into multiple poms? Is this really making things simpler?

I think the source of complexity is the granularity of versioning
we're trying to apply to specs... I wonder if the simplest course of
action is to stop releasing individually versioned specs, and instead
always release all specs. When an update to the 1.2.0 specs are
required, release a 1.2.1 version of all specs (even if some of the
1.2.1 versions are identical to their 1.2.0 version).

--kevan