geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Publish Genesis 1.0 to m2 central
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:10:08 GMT

On Aug 28, 2006, at 11:25 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>> I appreciate that, I applaud your efforts, and apologize if I'm
>> being a PITA. However, we also have a responsibility as a
>> community when releasing software. I'm trying to be sure we are
>> addressing that responsibility.
>
> Mmmkay.  I'm taking deep breaths... :-]
>

>> For instance, I see that genesis-1.0 includes a software license
>> for Clover? News to me, but I confess that genesis has been a bit
>> of an unknown to me...
>>
>> from
>> Product: Clover
>> License: Open Source License, 0.x, 1.x
>> Issued: Sun May 14 2006 21:59:13 CDT
>> Expiry: Never
>> Maintenance Expiry: Never
>> Key: 965016739f4031c43d67e61b0
>> Name: Jason Dillon
>> Org: Apache Geronimo
>>
>> Clause 5 of the Clover license says "The Licensee may copy the
>> Software for back-up purposes only. The Licensee may not assign or
>> otherwise transfer the Software to any third party." IANAL ADNWTB,
>> however, this gives me cause for concern. Can you explain what
>> this is about?
>
> I have no idea what "IANAL ADNWTB" means.  But Clover grants
> licenses for open source projects.  I used the license they granted
> to me to be used to run the site builds.  This is shared
> configuration, which was checked into genesis to simplify the
> configuration of modules which need it to run the plugin.

Sorry..
I Am Not A Lawyer
And Don't Want To Be

I don't think we can put this license in on ibiblio. I also don't
think it should be public in our source tree... I understand that
this may make things more difficult, but it sure seems to me that
we're violating the terms of the license agreement... Can you
convince me otherwise?

--kevan