geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Problem deploying web applications that have security-constraints in web.xml but use no authentication and security roles
Date Sun, 06 Aug 2006 07:30:20 GMT

On Aug 5, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a web application that has the following security-constraint
> in the web.xml
>
>    <security-constraint>
>      <web-resource-collection>
>        <web-resource-name>Secure</web-resource-name>
>        <url-pattern>/secure/AuthorizationServlet</url-pattern>
>      </web-resource-collection>
>      <user-data-constraint>
>        <transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
>      </user-data-constraint>
>    </security-constraint>
>
> My application does not use any security roles and does not
> authenticate against any security realm.  All this security-
> constraint does is that the requests are forwarded to HTTPS port
> (enabled for ClientAuth) and the application uses Client
> Certifcates for authorization.  In G1.0, I could deploy this
> application without using a geronimo-web.xml and the application
> runs fine.
>
> G1.1 does not allow me to deploy this application without a
> deployment plan.  Even with a deployment plan, G1.1 comes back with
> errors that there are no security elements in the deployment plan.
> The following messages are displayed in the console.
>
> Deployer operation failed: web.xml for web app tutorial/cert-auth-
> sample/1.0/war
>  includes security elements but Geronimo deployment plan is not
> provided or does
>  not contain <security-realm-name> element necessary to configure
> security accor
> dingly.
> org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: web.xml for web app
> tutorial/cer
> t-auth-sample/1.0/war includes security elements but Geronimo
> deployment plan is
>  not provided or does not contain <security-realm-name> element
> necessary to con
> figure security accordingly.
>
> Clearly, I can not put any security-realm-name and role-mapping
> elements in geronimo-web.xml .  If I put a security-realm-name tag
> and/or role-mappings to get past the deployment, access to the
> resource will be denied since I have not put any auth-constraint
> tags web.xml

Did you check this?  I'd expect that everything would work as
expected if you supply a security-realm-name and that you will be
able to access pages without logging in.

> Any suggestions on how to get past this problem?  Or is this a bug
> in G1.1?

I have to regard it as a bug in G1.1, although if supplying a
security-realm-name works its a fairly minor bug.  I'm very curious
about whether G1.0 actually enforced the CONFIDENTIAL user-data-
constraint: my guess is that it did not.

thanks
david jencks