geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT Memory Problems
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:43:59 GMT

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:45 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Concur...blocked.
>
> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> Jeff just noted that Liferay seems to take an abnormal amount of
>> memory to run.
>> I just redeployed the console twice and got an OutOfMemoryError.
>> When working on the console for 1.1, I could redeploy dozens of
>> times.
>> I think we've introduced a pretty serious memory problem between 1.1
>> and now.  I know we're close to the deadline, but I think we ought to
>> investigate this before shipping 1.1.1.

OK. I've found the cause -- it's RC 425160 (http://svn.apache.org/
viewvc?view=rev&revision=425160). Looks like we were running out of
PermGen space. This change roughly double the number of classes
created by G on startup. I could only deploy/undeploy DayTrader once.
After reverting the change, I've run well over 100 deploy/undeploy
cycles. We're leaking two instances of
'EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.LinkedNode' per deploy/undeploy,
but that's only 32 bytes...

I haven't confirmed, but I saw evidence that it was at least part of
the DWR leaks that Jeff G reported.

Here's the Jira associated with the above change -- http://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2204

Since the change is optional, I'm reverting the commit. I think we
can safely leave out of 1.1.1. Can discuss how we want to fix, later...

--kevan