geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JPA plugin (was Re: Java 1.4 and JEE 5)
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:41:52 GMT
On Aug 9, 2006, at 1:21 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> I'm going to start a branch tomorrow to experiment with JPA stuff

Done.  Got a branch up here:
  - Revision 430900: /geronimo/branches/jpa-plugin

Also threw up a wiki page:
  - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxSBOX/JPA+Plugin

I think I also got Dain roped into helping me with some of the naming
parts (bought him breakfast and sprung it on him while he was all in
a good mood).  We're sitting right next o each other here at a coffee
shop so hopefully we can rise to the challenge of keeping stuff on
the list.

The last idea in my head last night before I went to sleep was that I
thought one good approach was to create the PersistenceUnitInfo
objects sans their references to DataSources and shove them into a
special JNDI Reference object that will pull the DataSource from JNDI
and create the EntityManagerFactory and pass that back in the
getValue method (or whatever it's called) of the JNDI Reference upon
a lookup.

The user would still be responsible for configuring the name of the
DataSource in the persistence.xml and that the DataSource should come
from the right pool (i.e. the non-tx pool).

Again, this is for app-managed JPA.  Container-managed JPA is another
ball of wax.

Anyway, more later.

-David