geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Restructuring trunk, then next steps
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 05:12:12 GMT
So, I've mentioned a few times before that we should start thinking
about how to split up modules in trunk into a few smaller chunks.  I
took a few minutes and took a crude stab at what that might look
like.  This is just an example of how it might work... I did not do
any extensive research into dependencies...

Basically, I split things up into 5 main trees:

  * framework - common stuff, not really the server, but supports the
server, modules here should have minimal deps
  * system - the major components which make up the server's system
(should be the bits to start up a server shell)
  * tools - bits that support the system
  * plugins - components which plugin to the system
  * testsuite - placeholder for modules which will be aded soon that
use the itest plugin to perform integration tests

I'm not sure if this is the best split, but it kinda comes closer to
what I hope we can get to.  Below is how the modules that exists fit
into these sections.

----

framework/
     geronimo-testsupport (may need to be in other tree? so can
include in all modules by default)
     geronimo-common
     geronimo-util
     geronimo-interceptor
     geronimo-activation
     geronimo-kernel

system/
     geronimo-management
     geronimo-security
     geronimo-security-builder
     geronimo-service-builder
     geronimo-core
     geronimo-system
     geronimo-transaction
     geronimo-connector
     geronimo-connector-builder
     geronimo-jmx-remoting
     geronimo-naming
     geronimo-naming-builder
     geronimo-test-ddbean (wtf is this for?)
     geronimo-deployment/
         geronimo-deployment (rename to -core) ?
         geronimo-deploy-config
         geronimo-deploy-jsr88
         geronimo-deploy-tool
         geronimo-hot-deploy
     geronimo-client
     geronimo-client-builder
     geronimo-j2ee/
         geronimo-j2ee
         geronimo-j2ee-builder
         geronimo-j2ee-schema
     geronimo-web-builder

plugins/
     geronimo-activemq/
         ge-activemq-rar (rename)
         geronimo-activemq-gbean
         geronimo-activemq-gbean-management
     geronimo-axis
     geronimo-axis-builder
     geronimo-derby
     geronimo-directory
     geronimo-tomcat
     geronimo-tomcat-builder
     geronimo-jetty
     geronimo-jetty-builder
     geronimo-mail
     geronimo-timer
     geronimo-webservices

tools/
     geronimo-upgrade
     geronimo-converter

testsuite/
     TODO, home for itest usage

----

Anyways, I wanted to post what I am thinking.  I think that we are
really close to the point where we will want to implement this sort
of split up.

Comments?

--jason