geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <>
Subject Re: [CONSENSUS] Default plugin site (was Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager)
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:20:29 GMT
On 8/24/06, Paul McMahan <> wrote:
> Hey folks.  This thread about Geronimo plugin sites has been inactive
> for a while, but during that discussion I made a suggestion that it
> would be great if Geronimo could provide a plugin site like Eclipse
> provides at Eclipse Plugin Central.  This Eclipse plugin site is not a
> plugin "repository" per se but more like a community building site
> with discussion forums and system for reviewing and rating plugins.
> The actual plugins are hosted elsewhere and their download location is
> referenced from the plugin articles.  The Eclipse plugin site is
> operated and governed by the Eclipse Foundation.
> I was really excited about creating this type of site for Geronimo
> since I think it would be a great compliment to sites like
> and it would really help involve/motivate the
> Geronimo development community at large.  So I purchased the domain
> name to match the format of the Eclipse
> plugin site and got some advice from the Eclipse guys on how to create
> and run a community site.
> Now I have a rough working version of the Geronimo plugin community
> site available at that I would love
> to get your feedback on.  It is definitely a work in progress and has
> lots of rough edges, but I hope it gets across the main idea of what
> can be accomplished with some further work and direction from the
> Geronimo community.  Like the Eclipse plugin site it has a plugin
> discussion forum and a plugin directory where plugins can be reviewed
> and rated by the community.
> With Bruce Snyder's help I offered to donate the
> domain name to ASF last June but haven't
> heard back from infra@ on that yet.  If there's general agreement in
> the Geronimo community that this site is (or can be) A Good Thing then
> I would like to offer full ownership and operational control of this
> site to the Geronimo PMC.  I'm also ready/willing to migrate the site
> onto ASF hardware if that's desirable (although I'm not sure how they
> would react to MySQL and Joomla :-).
> Of course I am also volunteering my time to finish setting up the site
> and to help administer it when its ready for the masses.  Hernan
> created the look and feel for the site based on the work he did in the
> Geronimo website and wiki, and has volunteered to help keep the
> content organized.  I'm sure he would love to get your feedback on the
> look and feel, graphics, etc  ;-)

Have you spoken with Aaron regarding yet? I think
we should try to make these two sites work together rather than
against one another. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I understand that there's a difference between Geronimo plugins
and the Geronimo Eclipse plugin, but that's because I'm a committer
and involved. What are your thoughts on distinguishing these two
complementary and easily confusing technologies?

Apache Geronimo -
Apache ActiveMQ -
Apache ServiceMix -
Castor -