geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Specs organization, versioning, and releasing
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:37:30 GMT

> On Aug 21, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> As long as we have inter-dependencies between specs (e.g. javamail
>> depends on activation; jaxrpc on saaj, qname, and servlet; and
>> especially geronimo-spec-j2ee depends on everything), I'm not
>> convinced that this really makes things any better...
>>
>> I agree that your plan is better than the previous plan for
>> multiple trunks, but I'm not convinced that either plan is
>> actually making things simpler...
>>
>> If I understand your proposal, tags/geronimo-spec-jaxrpc-<jax-
>> rpcversion>/pom.xml will specify the tagged versions of saaj,
>> qname, and servlet upon which it depends? So, haven't we just
>> split apart the specification of these version dependencies from a
>> single pom.xml into multiple poms? Is this really making things
>> simpler?
>
> That'd be right.  I'm not sure how complicated that is, though.
> None of those specs have changed in a year.  Can you give an non-
> hypothetical example of something that does change and causes this
> problem that isn't the J2EE uber-jar?

Maybe I don't understand the proposal, but otherwise IIUC every time
we've found a problem in e.g. the jacc spec we'd need to release
every spec jar, and update all the versions.  I guess we do this with
a lot of geronimo jars going e.g.  from 1.1 to 1.1.1 but I think
having a lot of identical-contents spec jars would be too confusing.

thanks
david jencks