geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: JPA Plugin patch
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:47:31 GMT
On 8/31/06, Jacek Laskowski <jacek@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> Hi Aaron and Andrus,
>
> The patch caught my attention and got me thinking about the plugin and
> where it's being developed.
>
> The first time I read it I thought why Andrus was asking that question
> here (yet complaining about SF issue tracker) since the plugin itself
> has been developed outside the project? (well, it's for the project,
> but it's not part of it, right?). I meant to have asked the question
> to Andrus, but then thought it's not him I should ask about it, but
> Aaron who *seem* to have made it hard(er) to understand where people
> should collaborate about stuff being developed outside, but still
> relevant to Geronimo. For me, it should've been asked in the used
> mailing list at most if not in the space it's being developed (in this
> case, it's SF).
>
> I think the question's already been asked, but will ask again since
> the plugin has drawn more attention. Aaron, why can't the plugin
> development be conducted here, in sandbox? Does it use a code not
> allowed to be in the Geronimo repo?

The main developers who produced the plugin were not Geronimo
committers, and I had the space available.  The TopLink and Hibernate
implementation plugins could not be developed at Apache, but the core
JPA plugin could otherwise have been.  However, I'm not convinced that
the sandbox is the right place to develop plugins in any case, because
I plan to actually release them, and I would be skeptical about
releasing anything from the sandbox -- seems like that would be a
cheesy end run around RTC.

Also, recall that the main point of plugins is to facilitate the
development of value-added features outside the Geronimo community.
There's little point to creating a plugin architecture and then
insisting that everyone working on plugins do so in the Geronimo
sandbox.

Thanks,
     Aaron