geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: What does this do?
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:57:59 GMT
Any runtime changes to GBean attributes/references (through the
console, JMX, whatever) are saved to config.xml.  Then they're applied
during the GBean loading process, overriding whatever the default
values may be.  You can also edit the file manually while the server
is down.  The point of pre-populating some values in config.xml is, as
Joe said, to make it obvious to a user where to change settings we
think they may be interested in.  If we started with a relatively
empty file, it would be really hard to get the syntax right to e..g.
change a listen port, but if we add that to the default config.xml
then it becomes a search and replace operation.  I suspect the CORBA
stuff is in there so the CORBA listen address/port can be changed.

FWIW, you can also add entirely new GBeans solely via config.xml,
though it's not typically done (mainly for things like if you add a
new network connector in the console and we want to add it to an
existing module).

Thanks,
     Aaron