geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Returning to Commit-Then-Review?
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:12:56 GMT
On 8/28/06, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@golux.com> wrote:
> Edit the STATUS file, which is getting autoposted.

I've tried valiantly, but I can no longer resist posting to this
thread.  I'm sure my position is well known, but I feel like it needs
to be stated anyway.

Looking at development progress, RTC has been a disaster.  At JavaOne,
we had more than 10 people volunteer to implement more than 30 tasks,
targeting a release date (including testing and candidates) of 3
months out.  There were also 20+ other tasks that we thought would be
great but we needed a volunteer to work on them.  The notes on all
this stuff was posted to this mailing list.

It's been more than three months since then (under RTC), and by my
count two of the thirty tasks have been completed.  Sure, people may
be talking more, but this is ridiculous.  Maybe OK for a maintenance
branch, but a joke for a feature release.  I'm OK doing all feature
development elsewhere, but it kind of kills the project proper.
Clearly I believe trunk should switch to CTR.

Also, I'm not sure why the PMC Chair continues to attempt to control
and direct communications, posting a nearly empty and useless text
file to the list on a regular basis and telling people how they are or
are not allowed to use the Wiki.  If we're not even allowed to talk
among ourselves freely, I can't see how we could be trusted to commit
code freely, so on that basis we should clearly stay in RTC.  For my 2
cents, a monolithic text file is absolutely not the right forum for
summarizing discussions, tallying votes, recording bug status, and so
on.  We have Jira and a Wiki for a reason, and they should be used
appropriately.

Thanks,
     Aaron