geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Independently version transaction and connector
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:55:47 GMT
> When we make decisions on where to put code, I think we should use
> the question "what is this code coupled to?" to help guide us.  In
> the case of the GBean, classed in tx and connector they are highly
> coupled (they are sub classes in may cases) to the tx and connector
> modules, so should be versioned with that code.  On the other hand,
> the connector-builder module is highly coupled to the Geronimo
> deployment system, so it should stay with the server.

I don't think this worked out super-well with ActiveMQ.  We had to do
GBean changes a number of times, and always had to pester ActiveMQ to
push a new binary so that Geronimo would see those changes.  So we
were asking for binary releases unrelated to the schedule of real
product functionality.

Of course, if there was an "ActiveMQ" build and a separate "ActiveMQ
GBeans" build, that would kind of solve that problem, even if the
GBeans were hosted at ActiveMQ...

Thanks,
     Aaron