geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Dudney <bdud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: j2ee-builder tests?
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:31:45 GMT
Hi Jason,

On Aug 29, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Bill Dudney wrote:
>> 1) The dependency plugin version 2.0-SNAPSHOT is all that appears
>> to work. I could not find a functional 1.0 version of this plugin.
>> I guess the question here is what is the community stance on using
>> snapshots of plugins for the build? If this is not OK we need to
>> get on the maven lists and try to get a released version of the
>> dependency plugin. I found a couple of posts on the maven lists
>> that make me hope that a 2.0 release is going to happen soon but I
>> don't follow the maven community that closely so I'm not sure.
>
> We are already using 1.0 of the dependency plugin...
>
>                 <plugin>
>                     <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>                     <artifactId>dependency-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>                     <version>1.0</version>
>                 </plugin>

I was using maven-dependency-plugin and following the docs here;
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/
introduction.html

changed to match what is in the other poms (org.codehaus.mojo) and
works fine.

>> 2) The j2ee-builder tests use a 'naked' ear that has been stripped
>> of its geronimo-application.xml file. Easy enough to do with ant
>> and we can do it with maven as well I'm sure but I was hoping
>> you'd have some ideas about how to do it more simply that what I
>> was thinking. Here are my two ideas;
>> 	a) adopt an approach similar to the boilerplate-{j2ee,minimal} in
>> the assembly build
>> 	b) use something in the dependency plugin that can strip various
>> elements from a jar file
>> 	c) unpack it then repack with the geronimo-application.xml file
>> excluded
>
> What else is in the ear?  Sounds like a normal jar module would be
> fine.

ear depends on war, rar & ejb, so there is virtually nothing in the
ear, just the geroinmo-application.xml and application.xml.

I'll submit the patch we can mess with these changes later.

>> 3) There are a couple of more testing bits in the geronimo-j2ee-
>> builder module. I'm not sure what the best way to remove them is.
>> 	a) src/test-plan - has some bad plan files that ensure that
>> failure happens when expected. I think these should be moved into
>> src/test/resources and used from there in the tests but wanted to
>> get your take.
>> 	b) src/test-unpacked-ear is another set of deployment descriptors
>> and plans used for both positive and negative tests. Again these
>> could/should probably be moved into the src/test/resources
>> directory (when its created until then it looks like src/test is
>> the destination)
>
> Um... okay... no opinion on this right now.

K - I moved them and updated the tests to use the stuff from the new
location.

You can delete modules/geronimo-j2ee-modules/{test-ear, test-ear13,
test-plan, test-unpacked-ear} after the patch is applied.

TTFN,

-bd-