geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [itests] Modify the geronimo-deployment-plugin ?
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:16:21 GMT

On Aug 4, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> With the m2migration ready to be merged into trunk, I have resumed
> work on the itests for Geronimo again.
>
> Approx 30% of our code is covered by component level tests that are
> embedded in each module. These tests are written as junit test cases
> and run by Maven surefire plugin.
>
> The itests will cover system level tests by testing the
> functionalities that an end-user would use on a fully assembled
> Geronimo distribution. Therefore to the extent possible, our itests
> and it's testcases should use the very same external APIs and
> workflows that a user would use.
>
> We have been using the startRemoteServer and stopRemoteServer goals in
> the geronimo-deployment-plugin (g-d-p)  to start and stop a server. We
> have always used these "remote" goals and have never used the in-vm
> goals startServer and stopServer.
>
> I propose that we convert the in-vm goals startServer and stopServer
> to be ant mojos from their existing java mojos. Invoking the ant mojo
> goals in our itests will ensure that our tests are using the same APIs
> that a end-user uses. Thus we shall no longer use internal hooks in
> the code to start and stop the server.
>
> Thoughts ? Comments ? Advice ?

I probably don't understand what you are proposing well enough, but I
don't see how running geronimo in the same vm as the tests will more
closely approximate the users experience: most people will not be
running geronimo in the same vm as their client.  Is there some other
advantage of using only one vm?

BTW I am really looking forward to reasonable itests :-)  I wrote a
couple of tiny sample apps to check if I'd fixed some bugs recently
and hope these can turn into itests.

thanks
david jencks