geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Specs organization, versioning, and releasing
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:48:13 GMT

> On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

>> Well, the current activation spec is at version 1.1. When that
>> version was bumped from 1.0 (or 1.0.x), you'd have needed to know/
>> remember to change the poms in the following specs: geronimo-spec-
>> j2ee, geronimo-spec-javamail, geronimo-spec-jaxr, and geronimo-
>> spec-saaj.
>>
>> A question for you, Jason: If someone wants to build our released
>> specs from source, what's the process?
>>

>>> Maybe I don't understand the proposal, but otherwise IIUC every
>>> time we've found a problem in e.g. the jacc spec we'd need to
>>> release every spec jar, and update all the versions.  I guess we
>>> do this with a lot of geronimo jars going e.g.  from 1.1 to 1.1.1
>>> but I think having a lot of identical-contents spec jars would be
>>> too confusing.
>>
>> No, I don't think that's what is happening (at least not in
>> theory), but I've never actually "released" specs. So, I may be
>> mistaken...
>>
>> Current Process for updating jacc
>>
>> 1) Update branches/1_1/pom.xml with new geronimoSpecsVersion and
>> new geronimoSpecsJaccVersion
>> 2) Update jacc spec sources
>> 3) Build all specs
>> 4) Release jacc and uber-jar spec
>> 5) tag branches/1_1 as tags/1.1.x
>
> 6) tag branches/1_1/pom.xml
> 7) release pom.xml
>
> If the version information for any given module is only contained
> in the parent, we have to release the parent when we release the
> module.
>
>> Current Proposed Process
>>
>> 1) Update branches/1_1/geronimo-j2ee/pom.xml with new uber-jar
>> spec version and new jacc spec version
>> 2) Update branches/1_1/geronimo-jacc/pom.xml with new jacc spec
>> version
>> 3) Update jacc spec sources
>> 4) Build jacc and uber-jar (build seperately or together?).
>> 6) Release jacc
>> 7) tag jacc-<version>
>> 8) Release uber-jar
>> 9) tag uber-jar-<version>
>>
>> Single-version Proposed Process
>>
>> 1) Update branches/1_1_/pom.xml with new specs version
>> 2) Update jacc spec sources
>> 3) Build all specs
>> 4) Release all specs
>> 5) tag branches/1_1 as tags/1.1.x
>>
>> I don't see that releasing identical content spec jars are
>> necessarily confusing (as you point out, we essentially do it with
>> every Geronimo release). Less confusing to have only a single
>> version to worry about... What's the latest release 1.1.x geronimo
>> specs? Use that for all of my j2ee 1.4 spec dependencies. Seems
>> simpler than knowing the latest jacc spec is at version x and the
>> latest servlet 2.4 spec is at version y.
>
> Kevan, this question was directed at you.
>
> On Aug 21, 2006, at 10:44 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>> This just came into mind.  Any thoughts on what we'd do for the
>> specs that are javaee 5 only versions (corba, servlet, soon jta
>> and ejb, etc.) and the ones that overlap between j2ee 1.4 and
> [...]

Something like:

specs/branches/1.1 will remain a more or less "pure" 1.4 level of the
specs.

specs/branches/1.2 would contain the 1.4 specs and roll-in the Java
EE 5 specs as we need and implement them. The geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec
(if we keep it) would contain only 1.4 versions of specs. Java EE 5
specs would stand on their own (e.g. geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec-1.2.0). If
we wanted, we could introduce a geronimo-javaee_5_spec (which
includes new specs).

specs/branches/2.0 would contain only Java EE 5 specs (and any non-EE
specs that we're moving forward/maintaining).

There is of course, duplication of source (just like you have anytime
you branch...) and problems might need to be fixed in (and released
from) multiple branches).

--kevan