geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: JPA Plugin patch
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 06:52:21 GMT

On Sep 1, 2006, at 4:07 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

>> Also, recall that the main point of plugins is to facilitate the
>> development of value-added features outside the Geronimo community.
>> There's little point to creating a plugin architecture and then
>> insisting that everyone working on plugins do so in the Geronimo
>> sandbox.
>
> Noone's said so (or I've been misunderstood because of my (copy of)
> English).
>
> You're *a Geronimo committer* and you ought to keep development of
> Geronimo bits as close as possible. How can we explain our users that
> Geronimo committers develop their code outside when it's permissible
> to do so in the Geronimo tree? You can't simply wear Geronimo hat and
> do things as Aaron wished to (I hope I've got it right). You're a
> teammate and as a Geronimo committer you're supposed to play by
> Geronimo nor your rules.
>
> It's also disruptive to the community as they need to look it up in
> their notes where the plugin comes from rather than download it from a
> Geronimo space. More troublesome. Another factor to take into account.

I would also like to see this plugin developed inside Geronimo, but I
disagree with the argument above. This effort does not undermine G.
community in any way and I don't feel like anything has to be
explained to the users. So let's rephrase it instead of saying that
Aaron did something wrong (which he did not).

Since there is interest inside G. community to develop this plugin,
what would it take to bring this code to Geronimo? Plugin development
is not disruptive to the core engine work (as it can be done entirely
in parallel), so it doesn't have to follow RTC.

Andrus