geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JPA plugin (was Re: Java 1.4 and JEE 5)
Date Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:46:53 GMT

On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> So far the idea is to put an EntityManagerFactory in JNDI for each
> persistence unit at java:comp/env/jpa/(persistence-unit-name) .  The
> problem is that every component type in Geronimo uses a different
> GBean and attribute to hold the JNDI context.

So check this idea out -- you'll flip.  What if we use the
context.xml to override the class that registers the root java: jndi
provider :)  Dain and I were going back and forth on what would be
the easiest way to slice in something that could also work for 1.1.x
and that was the best we came up with.  You basically override the
jndi provider with one that will first check for objects that are
"java:comp/jpa/(persistence-unit-name)" and delegate that to the
special JPA plugin functionality.  Notice I've used "java:comp/jpa"
instead of "java:comp/env/jpa".  The idea being that it's a global
thing and not specific to an ENC of a component.  This new JNDI
provider would not be JPA specific either, it would require a
reference collection of things that implemented javax.naming.Context
or perhaps as an alternate javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory.  You could
actually register a hole bunch of them and add all sorts of extended
jndi ability via other gbeans and plugins.

-David