geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Java 1.4 and JEE 5
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:02:35 GMT
So, doing any JEE 5 work basically requires us to drop JDK 1.4
support and go JDK 1.5 completely.  The JEE 5 libraries all use
Generics and Enums and Annotations and just do not run in JDK 1.4.

At some point where going to have to drop 1.4.  I don't know if we're
there yet, but OpenEJB 3 and Jetty 6 are coming along and OpenJPA is
here so we're not that far either.

I'm hacking away at some way to allow people to use OpenJPA in their
apps -- don't know how that will turnout just yet -- and was thinking
a plugin would be best for that as it wouldn't force Geronimo to go
JDK 1.5.  We could keep down the plugin path for a while and straddle
the JEE 5 and JDK 1.4 world for a while.  Maybe eventually we want a
JEE 5 distribution that consists of these still imaginary plugins and
still have a JDK 1.4 and J2EE 1.4-only distro.  Maybe we don't want
two distros and have a single J2EE 1.4/JEE 5 distro that works only
on JDK 1.5.  Dunno....

What are people's thoughts?  (Don't think we need to decide now, but
it would be good to start talking/thinking about it)

-David