geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Remove server-environment from app client
Date Sun, 06 Aug 2006 07:15:00 GMT

On Aug 5, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Currently, the application client plan has both a client-environment
> and a server-environment.  These can have separate module IDs and
> separate classpath modifiers.
>
> The client-environment is used for when you run the application client
> in the application client container (which is essentially a
> stripped-down Geronimo runtime).
>
> The server-environment is used to create a JSR-77 GBean representing
> the application client, on the server side.  That is, the module ID is
> used as part of the GBean name for the JSR-77 GBean, and the class
> path is used to run the JSR-77 GBean.  There was apparently some
> thought that the client might be able to list GBeans that should run
> on the server side using that class path and module ID as well, but
> that was never implemented.
>
> So here are my claims:
> * There's no need to have different module IDs on the client side and
> server side.  The JSR-77 GBean and app client container GBeans could
> all use the same module ID for GBeans associated with the same app
> client.

Thinking about it some more I think the problem is that for a
standalone app client, you would get two modules with the same module
id: one is the server jsr-77 gbean and the other is the actual app
client module.  I think we ran into this problem and that is one
reason there is the server-environment.  There's some logic to
generate a module id if no plan is supplied, perhaps we could reverse
or modify that to generate distinct but related module ids for the
client and server bits.  However it's not quite as simple as I
originally hoped :-(

thanks
david jencks