geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Eclipse plugin (was: Re: Introducing myself ...)
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 02:02:41 GMT
Hi Oleg,

On Aug 16, 2006, at 5:13 PM, System Architect wrote:

> My company has started using Geronimo AS as our main deployment
> platform and once it's there - I have to organize decent
> developer's support for debugging application on it. We are using
> Eclipse, so the easiest solution seems to be Geronimo plugin.
>
> Unfortunately this plugin is still in it's infancy and is just
> making baby steps. My challenge is that we are already using
> Geronimo, so I cannot wait for this plugin to grow naturally -
> success of Geronimo in our organization depends of this plugin; if
> we cannot make it work - this entire direction may die with it.
> Several hundred developers cannot rely on just JPDA while debugging
> web applications.
[...]
> I hope the above helps to understand the importance for us of
> various decisions that are taken to expedite or postpone this or
> that feature.

Good note :)  We understand loud and clear.

I can tell you with complete certainty we want that plugin to succeed
extremely.  But you're right, it's young and progress is slow.  This
isn't a measurement of desire or focus or priorities, but resources.

The best strategy I can think of for our mutual success, and I hope
you don't think this is too forward, would be for you to dedicate say
three or so of your hundreds of developers to help develop the
plugin.  Aside from the obvious mutual benefit of more plugin
functionality faster, it'd also give you three experts internally
that could help support and teach the other several hundred how to
use the plugin.

It would be a dream for us to get those extra resources on the plugin
development as well as a few hundred users driving features.

-David