geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.1.1 Branch notice 1500 ET (that's 3:00 PM ET for the non geeky)
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:53:29 GMT

On Aug 2, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Most of the remaining issues marked for 1.1.1 seem to have been fixed
> for 1.1.1 but are still open pending different solutions for 1.2.
>
> There is one big exception -- an ERROR during shutdown on Java 5.  It
> would be great if someone could look at that before the branch.  I've
> been trying hard to claim that Geronimo works fine under Java 5, and
> this is a little unfortunate.

Agreed that an ERROR isn't very desirable. I don't know anything
about the origins of this code, but it seems to be a workaround for a
JRE memory leak of Class objects. ConfigurationClassLoader and
MultiparentClassLoader are using introspection to clear out
SoftCache's in ObjectInputStream and ObjectOutputStream.

It would seem that in Aaron's Java 5 JRE, ObjectInputStream doesn't
contain a field named subclassAudits. While Joe's 1.5 implementation
does contain the field. Hopefully, this mean's the memory leak has
been fixed in Aaron's version...

Best fix I can think of at the moment is to reduce the log severity
to info or debug. Comments?

--kevan