geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: bootstrap.bat for windows users
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:14:24 GMT

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> I meant to just use Ant... if we end up using antrun from the
>> bootstrap it will end up causing other antrun's to fail later on
>> since some of them need additional dependencies... which won't work.
>
> Oh, didn't think about it. Are you really suggesting to use Ant beside
> Maven? It's getting too complicated to just get started. When do you
> think bootstrap will go away? Is it worth to talk about it any more?
>
> Jacek

I hope this is not taken negatively...as it is not meant that way...

I think it is worth talking about, especially when we think bootstrap
will go away.  I respect Jason's disdain for Windows, but it also is the
most used and most popular OS...which means it probably represents a
large base of our community. :)

IMHO, if we are to continue with the bootstrap, then I think it is
reasonable to support both *nix and Windows.  No...I am not volunteering
as I have other things on my plate, but I think if Mark D. wants to take
on supporting the Windows side, I cannot find a negative in this. What I
do not think is reasonable is forcing any user to have to install Cygwin
(even though I love it) to build G on Windows.  Cygwin is a fairly large
install and I have been at companies where one is forbidden to have it
on corporate machines.

So, my point is, if the bootstrap is short lived, then disregard my
opinion ;-)  But if it's gonna be with us for a while, lets allow the
Windows bat version if Mark is willing to support it...or find something
 (like ant?) that will make it work on our most popular OS systems.

Jeff