geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <>
Subject 1.1.1 Status - XSD and DTD issues
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:28:43 GMT

For those wondering where the Geronimo 1.1.1 release is at here is a quick summary and battle

John Sisson discovered that we have several DTD and XSDs included in our build that are copies
Sun's original material.  The copyright in the material seems to indicate that we cannot
redistribute the content.  Unfortunately, as Geir has pointed out, that there is no clear
way to
interpret the license and we should manually generate these to stay legal and avoid any appearance

of impropriety.

The documents in question reside in both the distribution of the source as well as the server

itself.  It appears that other open source and commercial vendors do distribute these documents
their original form but the ASF does not have a clear indication that we can follow this same

practice.  You can find the documents in $G_BUILD_TREE/modules/j2ee-schema/src/* as well as
distributions in $G_DIST/schema/* directories.

The documents are identified in JIRA

I'd like to ask anyone that has some spare moments to help out with putting these together.

Basically, you need to refer to the appropriate specification and type in the XML exactly
like it is
represented for actual elements and either omit or paraphrase the information embedded in
so we do not violate Sun's copyright.

I know this is frustrating but for their own reasons Sun has imposed this unfriendly copyright
we need to abide by it.  We are protecting The ASF, Geronimo and our users.

If you are working on a document please update the above JIRA to indicate it is partial so
can see what remains.  Please check the new schemas into their respective replacements.  When
replacements are complete we'll build a new distribution and run it through a full CTS test
validate our work.

Please also consider working with a partner so you can cross check each other's work.

Thanks in advance for your patience and help with this important issue.

Also, if others have input into the process that I have missed please provide it as well.

Thanks to John and Geir for discovering and mediating on this issue.

View raw message