geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: M2 : car-maven-plugin and geronimo-plugin.xml files
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:49:07 GMT
I get the sense that both of you are a bit frustrated.  The transition to the new RTC development

model has been challenging for all.  The PMC has not kept up with the number of reviews and
that has
allowed the codebase to drift while patches then get stale.

Recently we've made several steps forward to improve the process.  Several new PMC members
have been
added in the last few weeks that are active committers to the project so the ability to provide

timely feedback has been improved.  Along with some better mechanisms to track what needs
to be
reviewed so we can quickly address them.  (I think we got the pluggable JAAC completed last
night).

All this to say it has made us stumble a bit in the process, we're not perfect yet, but we're
making
some important headway.

Everyone who has worked on the Maven 2 conversion needs to get some kudos as it is slightly
larger
than a bread box :) and given the somewhat binary nature of the change does not lend itself
well to
using patches as the vehicle to get the job done.

All that said, Jason, as your going through the patches and making changes what is the primary
way
to get feedback to the person who contributed the patch?  It sounds like you have some good
feedback
that would help Anita produce patches that you are both in more agreement on.  Also, it sounds
like
some of the changes are preferences based on style.  It would be a fair debate as to one should
use
Plexus or Geronimo infrastructure for the file delete activity.

All this said, you guys are to be commended for the progress you've made.  For the time being
the
review and collaboration feels like we've gone from a sprint to a jog but as we hit our stride
hope the pace will pick up as well.