geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: 1.1.1 - Ready or not ? Soliciting input
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:36:31 GMT


Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the issue and I'm not arguing that we don't need
>> to fix it.  But this problem indicates that it was present in 1.1 and
>> somehow it didn't make it to the top of the list for 1.1.1 earlier.
>> Does it need to hold up the release or could it be delivered in 1.1.2?
> 
> Anything is possible.  It seems like we're still not too clear on our
> release process.  My thinking is that we should work hard to put
> together a good candidate, have people try the candidate, identify and
> fix any serious issues with the candidate, release another candidate,
> and when we run out of showstopper issues, make that the release.
> Therefore, I believe we should work hard to have high-quality
> releases, and I believe all the listed issues impact the quality of
> the release, as well as in several cases, the compliance.
> 
> Now, someone can take the position that we should just crank releases
> out the door and keep cranking.  In that case, we should forget about
> release candidates and just post the builds as releases more or less
> as soon as they pass the TCK and idenitfy any issues for the next
> release and move on as quickly as possible.
>

I don't agree with  the above statement.  Was that posted somewhere ?  We've talked about
turning 
things around faster but I don't think that infers poor quality releases.

I was going to spin up an rc1 this afternoon and look for feedback.  The whole goal of this
process 
is to shake out issues.  If there is an issue that we need to address (the server doesn't
function 
correctly) then we'll fix it.  I think what your referring to is assessing what are the issues
that 
stop a release and we probably have different perspectives on where that line is drawn.

> Maybe we should take one approach for dot releases and another
> approach for dot-dot releases.

I think the process is the same for 2-digit releases as well as dot releases.  We work together
to 
define the content, spin out a release, certify it, create an rc, gather community feedback
and vote 
to release it.

> In any case, we're going to end the 1.1.1 process with a vote on the
> release, and as is, I'm going to vote against it, but it's just a vote
> -- neither a binding vote nor a veto.  

The binding vote is probably another discussion :)  Its clear your concerned about the quality
of 
the release and the code we make available to users.  It would be nice to have you with a
binding vote.

IIRC the plurality of the PMC
> votes will decide whether it becomes the release or not.  I'm not
> going to have hard feelings either way, it's just my opinion that we
> shouldn't ship given the issues we've identified and so far it seems
> like you and Kevan think we should and that's fine.
> 

Its not me and Kevan.  We've been nuturing the release along and lots have people have helped
get 
the 45 + JIRAs in there.  The community will make the decision and not two people.  I apologize
if 
I've put anything in e-mail or other form that would lead you to believe differently.

> Thanks,
>     Aaron
> 
>> Kevan Miller wrote:
>> >
>> > On Aug 8, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> >
>> >> 1.1.1 is in a form that we can get ready to release it.  I was
>> >> talking with Aaron and he mentioned that there were some security
>> >> issues he was concerned about.  I would like to use this thread to
>> >> identify any issues that should be considered show stoppers and  make
>> >> the decision on how to move forward.
>> >>
>> >> Please use this thread to provide that information.  What I think
>> >> we'll need to make an appropriate assessement is:
>> >>
>> >> Issue Description
>> >> How long have we had it?  (has it existed in earlier releases and  we
>> >> knew it)
>> >> Exposure
>> >> JIRA issue number tracking the issue.
>> >>
>> >> Please provide your input as quickly as possible so we can assess  how
>> >> to proceed with 1.1.1.
>> >
>> >
>> > I don't have any background information -- other than what's in the
>> > jira database for 1.1.1. I see GERONIMO-2295 -- http://
>> > issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2295
>> >
>> > I haven't verified the problem. However, given the description, I'd  
>> say
>> > it's definitely something that needs to be fixed.
>> >
>> > It's currently assigned to Alan. Alan, are you working on this?
>> >
>> > --kevan
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
> 
> 
> 

Mime
View raw message