geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: JPA plugin (was Re: Java 1.4 and JEE 5)
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:08:26 GMT
On Aug 8, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On 8/8/06, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

>> intend
>> >
>> > "we" is myself and some folks at Chariot.  At SourceForge
>> because 1)
>> > we need some place to collaborate on the code and that's impossible
>> > under RTC, 2) we are working primarily with TopLink during
>> development
>> > and that's impossible at Apache, 3) it was easier to set up a
>> > SourceForge project than Codehaus and I don't know what to make of
>> > Google, and 4) I was explicitly told that plugin development
>> should be
>> > done outside of Apache.
>>
>> Regarding 1) -- too bad you feel this way.
>
> Well, how would you recommend working on new features with others?
> Normally you commit when you're at a point that you want to share and
> then others can update.  Under RTC, you have to post to a Jira and
> propose a vote and get 3 PMC members on board before anyone else can
> update.  So really, it's collaboration via pasting patches to Jira.
> That's ridiculous.  The next alternative is a branch.  I've seen Dain
> and Jason do the branch thing, and it looked to me like they spent as
> much time trying to keep the branch in sync with trunk as actually
> working on the branch.  No thanks.  So what do you recommend?  Do
> everything in the sandbox?

If you want to ultimately bring the code to apache, it is the easiest
thing, since it avoids the large legal hurdle later.  Working in the
sandbox also earns the others you are working with karma with the
Geronimo community.  On the other hand, it is very difficult to work
via patches and can be a serious demotivator.  In the end, I want to
see this effort be successful, so if the team you are working with
can handle patch based development, I'd really encourage you bring
the code to the sandbox as soon as possible, if not please bring it
later.

>> Regarding 4) -- that's news to me and I can see no reason why that
>> would be true.
>
> Please, enlighten me as to how we can work with TopLink and Hibernate
> within the context of Geronimo?  Are we allowed to include GPL modules
> in the build now?

I don't think there is a clear answer to this, but it is being
discussed on the apache legal mailing list.  If you are interested, I
suggest you bring it up on that list, because this is a clear case of
supporting an *optional* GPL based implementation.

-dain