geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JPA Plugin Status
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:17:17 GMT
I got OpenJPA to run with my JPA code.  So we're looking real good.

On Aug 13, 2006, at 8:24 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> So far, it's just got a TopLink provider, but if people want to copy
> that to create providers for Cayenne or OpenJPA or whatever, that
> would be great.  It basically just needs to have a customized name and
> ClassPath, though I'm assuming any provider we integrate with will be
> compatible with the Geronimo JPA spec JAR (currently
> org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec/1.0-SNAPSHOT/jar)

OpenJPA and the Geronimo JPA spec jar weren't happy.  Our JPA jar had
some bad signatures and was missing a few exception classes.  I fixed
those and managed to get OpenJPA to compile and run with our JPA jar
rather than the CDDL version they use.

> If you try to build and run this, you'll be held up by a couple
> things:

For me its:
  - Still missing the some JNDI stuff Dain is working on (mentioned
earlier in the thread).
  - Need the plugin goop

But when that is there, this should run for ejbs or servlets in 1.1.1
and maybe 1.1 (should work).

> My goal is to have a release of this plugin with sufficient user
> documentation when G 1.1.1 is released.  It would be great to have
> some open source JPA providers for that release too.
>
> I also started talking to David B about the JPA work being done in
> OpenEJB, and I think we're agreed that we probably don't need two such
> plugins for G 1.1.x, so hopefully we can work toward a unification as
> we move forward.

I'm sure we can figure something out.  I'll give it some more thought
tomorrow, time for bed now....zzzzZZZZ

-David