geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: windows build hell
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:28:15 GMT

On Aug 30, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> We've been struggling with build problems on windows for some time
> now and things just keep on getting worse.
>
> I'm composing this note to summarize the problems that I'm aware of
> with work-arounds and possible solutions.   I'm also fishing to see
> if anybody else has some ideas on how to resolve these issues.
>
> 1)  Windows pathlength problem.
> Problem:
> There are miscellaneous failures that can typically be tracked down
> to the windows pathlength problem.  The nature of our repository
> structure and deployment make this a big problem.   It also seems
> like we're continuing to add more intermediate elements in path
> names as we try to get things more organized and conform to Maven 2
> conventions.
>
> Work-around:
> The work-around is to keep the windows root path as small as
> possible. I now typically build from a root path of c:\g to avoid
> these problems.
>
> Possible Solution:
> For a longer term solution I'm planning to work on a new repository
> implementation in 1.2 that that isn't as redundant or verbose.

I agree. Addressing this issue is overdue... I'd just been thinking
about adding it to the 1.2 list, also...

> 3)  Openejb2 test failures.
> Problem:
> Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException:
> org.openejb.deployment.DeploymentTestSuite.getName()
>
> Work-around:
> After bootstrap failure cd to <root>\target\external\openejb2
> "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true"
> cd back to <root>
> "mvn clean install"
>
> Possible solution:
> Dain suggested adding the "getName" method to the test.  However,
> when I attempted this I hit other errors.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=115680051431478&w=2
> I think it would be helpful if we could disable the openejb tests
> until this problem is resolved.

It it's really useful, I guess it could be disabled. However, I think
we should live with the workaround. Whatever is causing this problem
needs to be identified and fixed. Is this a windows only problem? Or
a general problem?

> 4)  Blue screen of death (bsod)

Building Geronimo may be the cause, but hard to fault Geronimo...
You're on your own with this one... :-P

--kevan