geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <>
Subject Re: Eclipse as development tool for Geronimo components
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:30:58 GMT
Heinz,  what you're describing has been my experience with Eclipse as
well.  Depending on which part of Geronimo you change there are
different ways to get your changes loaded into the debug env.  In some
cases you can rebuild and then redeploy the code using the command
line interface, perhaps from a script you invoke from an eclipse
button.  In other cases you might need to rebuild a jar, shut down the
server, replace the jar in the repository directory, and then restart
the server.  In any case I haven't figured out a way to use hot
replace from the IDE, which would be nice.  As you know, debugging
applications in Eclipse is easier than debugging the server because
the Eclipse plugin handles the redeployment for you.

Best wishes,

On 8/28/06, Heinz Drews <> wrote:
> Hi Sachin,
> The mvn eclipse:eclipse generates the .project files with the proper reference.
> This solves the problem you mentioned.  Generally it would be a nice
> start but naturally is the manual import a long and tedious exercise.
> I guess an exported workspace might help.
> With debugging there is currently the problem that o.g...Daemon
> requires the server.jar which then refers the modules via the manifest
> as jars.  This forces then to build with maven instead of directly
> using the generated classes.
> Just building the changed component is sufficient with exception of
> the ones referring xmlbeans.
> I was hoing that somebody had already made more progress but I will not give up.
> Heinz
> On 8/28/06, Sachin Patel <> wrote:
> >
> > One of the big problems is that you can not use pure Eclipse to develop
> > Geronimo. (just make code changes and compile)  The maven eclipse plugin
> > generates the .classpath in which all the projects reference only the built
> > jars in the maven repository rather then the projects set up to reference
> > each other.  This causes a huge annoyance in that every time you make a
> > change that affects another module, you will not see any compilation errors
> > since the modified module has to be rebuilt and redeployed with maven so
> > that the affected jar picks up the change.
> >
> > Also using the maven plugin for eclipse doesn't help, and enabling the maven
> > build to occur using it helps the issue but makes the build process
> > extremlely long.  I haven't tried the m2 eclipse goal to see if it addresses
> > some of these issues or not.
> >

> > On Aug 28, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Heinz Drews wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to use Eclipse for development and debugging of Geronimo components.
> > The Eclipse plugin I have already used for application development.
> >
> > I have run mvn eclipse:eclipse, imported manually the projects but I'm
> > hoping for a faster approach.  And I'm facing several problems. First
> > I could not found the xmlbeans in the source tree, modules referring
> > them don't compile.  Then I have not found a way to run G directly
> > from the compilation produced by Eclipse.  Only approach now is to
> > build a module with Maven and  copy the jar to the Geronimo tree.
> >
> > Help would be very much appreciated.
> > Regards,
> > Heinz
> >

> > -sachin