geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONSENSUS] Default plugin site (was Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager)
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:13:13 GMT
Hey Bruce,  Glad you asked these questions.  I have not had any
offline discussions with Aaron about geronimoplugins.com.  My
intention was to have any conversation here on the dev list in context
of where the discussion left off before.  My gmail reader threads the
whole discussion together for me nicely so maybe I'm taking that
context for granted since it actually transpired a while ago :-)  Here
is a link to the mail archives for historical purposes:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200606.mbox/%3C7b3355cb0606190946r73fd7328k1bcddf2473fc60ff@mail.gmail.com%3E

I do not see any conflict or overlap between the two efforts.  In fact
I find them quite complimentary since geronimoplugins.com site is a
privately owned plugin repository that hosts plugins and (if things
work out as I would hope) geronimoplugincentral is a Geronimo PMC
owned site that supports the community and provides an index of
plugins that are hosted elsewhere.  This is exactly analogous to how
Eclipse has set up their plugin ecosystem -- there are many plugin
sites where you can download plugins directly into your Eclipse
runtime, and there is a community site (Eclipse Plugin Central) that
supports the user community with forums, reviews, etc.  My intent is
to follow their lead where it makes sense since they already have been
in this space for a long time.

As for your second point about Geronimo plugins vs. the Geronimo
Eclipse plugin terminology, I totally agree with you that this will be
confusing to end users.  Actually since Geronimo decided to introduce
the concept of plugins I have started to notice how many other types
of software besides Eclipse also use that term.  My browser, for
example, just told me that "Additional plugins are required to display
all the media on this page".  I was using a Macromedia product that
also complained that I needed a plugin. etc. I don't have any specific
ideas on how to avoid confusing users about the terminology overlap,
other than to make sure that Geronimo's Eclipse plugin is listed at
the appropriate site :-)

Best wishes,
Paul