geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONSENSUS] Default plugin site (was Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager)
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:42:39 GMT
> This looks good Paul and I think it can do a lot to get momentum behind
> the creation of plugins (and plugin sites) as well as foster
> communication between plugin users.
>
> I do have some general curiosity questions like "What happens if a
> plugin exists on multiple sites?" and "What does it take to get a new
> plugin site registered?", etc...

I get the gist of what you're saying, which is that there are lots of
details to be worked out, and I agree. I think it is fortunate that
EclipsePluginCentral has already been around for a while and has a
well established community so when necessary we can always look to
their site for ideas.  Longer term I think there could be good synergy
between EclipsePluginCentral and GeronimoPluginCentral.  We have
communicated about Geronimo related effort and they even offered to
donate some of their custom site modules.

For your specific questions:
-  If plugins exist on multiple sites then there could either be a
review article for each instance or a single article that lists both
download locations if the metadata is otherwise the same for both.
-  For a content management system like Joomla (which is what drives
the site) handling new content submission is a bread and butter
activity. For example I assigned Author permission to your account so
now you should see a link on the Plugin Repositories page to add new
content.  I think there's a way to allow any registered user to submit
new content but I'm still figuring some things out.

> I appears that the site is mostly focused on plugin consumers.  However,
> there are hints that it could be used by plugin creators as well?  If
> the latter is intended then perhaps we should include some more links to
> plugin development "how to's" (of course we would need to create these
> first ourselves).

There's a Plugin Development discussion forum, and it would be easy to
set up a bigger area of the site dedicated to helping plugin
developers.  But that might be an area of overlap with what we use the
Geornimo wiki for, so for now I'm focused on the plugin directory and
the discussion forum.