geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONSENSUS] Default plugin site (was Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager)
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:01:10 GMT
Hey folks.  This thread about Geronimo plugin sites has been inactive
for a while, but during that discussion I made a suggestion that it
would be great if Geronimo could provide a plugin site like Eclipse
provides at Eclipse Plugin Central.  This Eclipse plugin site is not a
plugin "repository" per se but more like a community building site
with discussion forums and system for reviewing and rating plugins.
The actual plugins are hosted elsewhere and their download location is
referenced from the plugin articles.  The Eclipse plugin site is
operated and governed by the Eclipse Foundation.

I was really excited about creating this type of site for Geronimo
since I think it would be a great compliment to sites like
geronimoplugins.com and it would really help involve/motivate the
Geronimo development community at large.  So I purchased the domain
name geronimoplugincentral.org to match the format of the Eclipse
plugin site and got some advice from the Eclipse guys on how to create
and run a community site.

Now I have a rough working version of the Geronimo plugin community
site available at http://geronimoplugincentral.org/ that I would love
to get your feedback on.  It is definitely a work in progress and has
lots of rough edges, but I hope it gets across the main idea of what
can be accomplished with some further work and direction from the
Geronimo community.  Like the Eclipse plugin site it has a plugin
discussion forum and a plugin directory where plugins can be reviewed
and rated by the community.

With Bruce Snyder's help I offered to donate the
geronimoplugincentral.org domain name to ASF last June but haven't
heard back from infra@ on that yet.  If there's general agreement in
the Geronimo community that this site is (or can be) A Good Thing then
I would like to offer full ownership and operational control of this
site to the Geronimo PMC.  I'm also ready/willing to migrate the site
onto ASF hardware if that's desirable (although I'm not sure how they
would react to MySQL and Joomla :-).

Of course I am also volunteering my time to finish setting up the site
and to help administer it when its ready for the masses.  Hernan
created the look and feel for the site based on the work he did in the
Geronimo website and wiki, and has volunteered to help keep the
content organized.  I'm sure he would love to get your feedback on the
look and feel, graphics, etc  ;-)

Looking forward to your feedback.
Paul