geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject M2 : car-maven-plugin and geronimo-plugin.xml files
Date Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:31:28 GMT
Jason and others,

The car-maven-plugin (trunk rev 429115) still does not add the
geronimo-plugin.xml file to the generated car. I had submitted a
working patch for the m2migration branch rev 425727 to include
geronimo-plugin.xml file to the zipped archive car. The patch was not
used, instead the plugin code was modified to add this
functionality. I do believe in experiments when they work. The new
code does not add the geronimo-plugin.xml file to the car file. Please
see why the code added by Jason does not work :
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2225#action_12423320

I will be happy to elaborate on this, if anyone is interested.  Could
someone else (PMC member or committer) please explain to me why the
patch can not be used as is. Did it not put the geronimo-plugin.xml
file in the car correctly?  It is a few lines of code that uses
geronimo code to do its work, hence AFAICT this is not about not
trusting the code written by a non committer/non IBMer. I am amazed at
the amount of effort being spent to rewrite the plugin without giving
any technical reason as to why it needs to be modified in the first
place ! The original patch that added this functionality was submitted
on 19th June 06:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2067#action_12416768

When GERONIMO-2225 was filed, it became clear that there was interest
in adding this functionality to the plugin. I resubmitted the patch
for the m2migration branch on 27th July, 06:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2067#action_12416768

As expected the patch was not used, and a futile effort to rewrite the
code was made. I would really appreciate if some other committer/PMC
member could take a look at this code, and provide some technical
feedback about its shortcomings.

Thanks

Anita