geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: JPA Plugin patch
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 00:07:17 GMT
On 9/1/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> The main developers who produced the plugin were not Geronimo
> committers, and I had the space available.

You still have here, in the Geronimo repo. You're a Geronimo committer
and you can get as much "as you wish"[*] No need to go outside in this
particular case.

> The TopLink and Hibernate
> implementation plugins could not be developed at Apache, but the core
> JPA plugin could otherwise have been.

That's what I've been asking to be moved here. Also, Dave B's asked
about a similar thing.

> However, I'm not convinced that
> the sandbox is the right place to develop plugins in any case, because
> I plan to actually release them, and I would be skeptical about
> releasing anything from the sandbox -- seems like that would be a
> cheesy end run around RTC.

So, let's create a Geronimo subproject - plugins - and have them
released under the very same rules as devtools is - at the time
plugins wished to.

> Also, recall that the main point of plugins is to facilitate the
> development of value-added features outside the Geronimo community.
> There's little point to creating a plugin architecture and then
> insisting that everyone working on plugins do so in the Geronimo
> sandbox.

Noone's said so (or I've been misunderstood because of my (copy of) English).

You're *a Geronimo committer* and you ought to keep development of
Geronimo bits as close as possible. How can we explain our users that
Geronimo committers develop their code outside when it's permissible
to do so in the Geronimo tree? You can't simply wear Geronimo hat and
do things as Aaron wished to (I hope I've got it right). You're a
teammate and as a Geronimo committer you're supposed to play by
Geronimo nor your rules.

It's also disruptive to the community as they need to look it up in
their notes where the plugin comes from rather than download it from a
Geronimo space. More troublesome. Another factor to take into account.

Jacek

[*] Remember the movie - "The Pricess Bride" you had told me in this
semi-Italian and semi-Polish restaurant in Barcelona? ;-) I could
watch and love it!

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl