geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "System Architect" <mr.system.archit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GERONIMO-2324
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:04:03 GMT

> On Aug 17, 2006, at 11:46 AM, System Architect wrote:
>
> I feel strongly that is should be stated:
>
> Testing is not a "relatively specific use case" but a natural stage in a
> lifecycle of an application. You cannot grow into an adult without being a
> kid first. And how well one were treated as a child, how much warmth one
> received from parents - defines the adulthood success or failure. This -
> unmodified - applies to any complex program.
>
> "Testing and dubugging" mode is a first class citizen of an application
> server and should be treated as such.
>
> But Ian made a good point - we don't always want test facilities being
> available in production environment. And because they are IDE specific -
> maybe they belong to the IDE adapter? Sort of modified SharedLib GBean
> installed by IDE integration.
>

> Yes this is certainly a good point.  A modified SharedLib GBean is a good
> idea, but keep in mind that you would not want to change your application's
> deployment plan to reference this modified sharedlib and keep the existing
> dependency as-is.  If this is possible, then its certainly something to look
> into.

Reference is just a name. What's deployed under that name - it could be the
same SharedLib bean but with, possibly, another parameter, telling it to be
more promiscuous. So IDE adapter can take control over it and manipulate
it's bahavior?

And then - the resolver, when looking for resources, asks this bean first
> before going to startdard Geronimo classloaders? This bean - in turn -
> maintains a pool of classloaders to dynamically supply IDE resources to
> other - IDE based - applications?
>

> Modifying the classloaders is something kind of what we tried last
> release, but it only solved very minimal set of cases and thus quickly
> discovered its not a runtime issue, its a build time issue.  The builders
> themselves need to be changed, when the configuration is built up.

And SharedLib is one of those builders?

~oleg