geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [itests] Modify the geronimo-deployment-plugin ?
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:02:32 GMT
On Aug 4, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
> I propose that we convert the in-vm goals startServer and stopServer
> to be ant mojos from their existing java mojos. Invoking the ant mojo
> goals in our itests will ensure that our tests are using the same APIs
> that a end-user uses. Thus we shall no longer use internal hooks in
> the code to start and stop the server.

I think this is a good idea, helps get additional testing of those
commands that folks will be using.

I would suggest that we hide the details of invoking these into a set
of mojo's... I know we can use antrun but that exposes all of the
bits needed in each pom which is unneeded bloat and will be more
difficult to manage.

Along those lines, we don't really need any Ant-bits to do this.
plexus-util has enough support for use to invoke external commands
and handle stream interactions so we can then parse the output for
validation.  I don't think we need to use Ant here.  But, I also
think that Ant provides an awesome set of components for builds, so
if we do need them, then it is easy enough to programatically invoke
the tasks from inside of a mojo... I've done this many times before.

--jason