geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: GERONIMO-1526
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:39:24 GMT
On Aug 21, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Why the separation between resources and classes.  Don't we need to
> add both to the class loader anyway?  I'm curious when this
> differentiation is important.

 From the deployers perspective, they just need to get added to the
classpath... so there probably is not much difference there...

> I think using URLs instead of files, is going to be very
> difficult.  We had tons of problems dealing with paths containing
> spaces and urls.  IIRC we had to encode and decode URLs all the
> time.  Also, some deployers need to scan the directories.  For
> example, the RAR deployer needs to add all jar files in the archive/
> directory to the class path.  In Jee5 ear files we need to scan for
> all nested modules.

Ya maybe... I was just thinking about deploying from things other
than files, like an http:// address or nested jar, or some other
custom protocol.  Using URL allows flexibility by abstraction...
where using File binds you to files, since we have no way to augment
them.

I wish that java.io.File was a more extensible abstraction... like
VFS FileObject or something...

--jason