geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Dudney <>
Subject Re: j2ee-builder tests?
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:30:25 GMT
Hi David,

Agreed, externalized would be best. SVN diff produces such poor
patches though when there are directory moves involved that I
hesitate to attempt something like that. If its palatable I could
simply copy them and make a patch that adds the copies then someone
could delete them from the j2ee-builder directory once everyone is
happy with the new layout.

The particulars of how these problems are solved don't really matter
if we move them into a separate module either (which is great IMO)
since we would probably want to have all the options implemented in
several different ear's for integration tests.

Speaking of itests: what is the current status of that work. I recall
that a couple of folks were working on that and I was going to help
but I got side tracked with the dependency problems in the console.
I'm happy to help with it now as the console is working (see other
email about that).

> On a related note I've been creating a bunch of little m2 projects
> to build apps to verify defects and their fixes.  Usually you have
> to look at the output to see if it passed.  I've been attaching
> these projects to the issues in question.  I think we should
> consider putting these in svn somewhere and if we can get the itest
> plugin to run them that would be even better.
> Not exactly the same situation as you have here but it seems
> somewhat related.  Anyway you might consider making an m2 project
> to build this sample app.
> thanks
> david jencks
> On Aug 23, 2006, at 6:59 PM, Bill Dudney wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> The tests in the j2ee-builder do not currently have valid
>> deployment descriptors. While that's ok for this module because of
>> the mocked out deployment bits I was hoping to use them in other
>> tests. I have most of the stuff fixed up but there are a few
>> things that I don't want to do without feedback.
>> 1) there rar is empty, no jar's no xml in the deployment
>> descriptors its just a place holder. Thoughts on what to do with
>> that? cook up a simple rar? delete it? I lean towards making a
>> simple rar.
>> 2) The web.xml references a bogus bunch of ejb's with refs like
>> 'fake-ejb-ref'. Couple of things we could do with this, make them
>> point to valid ejb references in the ejb jar files that are part
>> of this ear or delete them. I would/could add some extra EJB's to
>> the ejb jar to make sure we covered all the reference types.
>> 3) This is less important but I'd like to change the artifactId's
>> so they are unique (i.e. test-ear-j2ee-1.{3,4}) so that I can
>> deploy both of the ear files when its all said and done.
>> 4) I'm not sure exactly how to do this with ear/war/ejb-jar but
>> I'd like to have this module produce a 'tests' jar (we do this in
>> cayenne with simple junit tests so we can reuse it across modules)
>> and then reuse these deployment units in other automated tests.
>> I'm game to poke at it but figure I might get a few of Jason's
>> brain cells so I can be a bit lazier :-)
>> I posted this jira;
>> to track this issue.
>> Thanks!
>> -bd-