geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 15:25:53 GMT
Inline -

> >> Why can't the dependency plugin be used to install the car files?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by the dependency plugin.
>
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/dependency-maven-plugin/
>
> It basically handles copying (or unpacking) artifacts and their
> dependencies to somewhere other than the repo cache.

The depenency-maven-plugin (d-m-p) does not meet all our requirements
like the m-a-p does. And for those few requirements that m-a-p
doesn't, it's committers were willing to work with me to take my
patches in and make it suit our requirements.

The assembly descriptor in the m-a-p has the following features. You
can't find an equivalent functionality in the d-m-p.

1. <repositories> can be used to copy into a m2 repo structure.
2. <fileset> and <file> can be used to copy other files like
var/config/xml which are not in any dependency artifact.
3. <unpack> will have include/exclude. (my patch)
4. mapper functionality will introduce some 6 ANT built-in mappers.
Custom mappers can be specified using a classname. We need this to
copy schema files in a flattened structure. (my patch)
5. The final archive is created in many formats we specify.
6. Assembly descriptor is a cleaner way of specifying how and where
the different jars are to be copied. (lib, ext, endorsed, repository,
bin, docs etc).  Then 2-3 plugin executions are all we need. With the
d-a-p, we woud need a lot more plugin executions, one for each
directory atleast.
7.  In the d-m-p, the artifacts to be copied/processed have to be
specified inside the plugin execution in the long format
<group><artifact>.  This will make our pom.xml a very very long one.
In the assembly descriptor of m-a-p, the artifact to be copied is
specified as a groupid:artifactid one liner.

I'm sure there a few more.

Cheers
Prasad