geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: m2migration branch is available
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 20:24:34 GMT
On Jul 4, 2006, at 4:21 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> Are you recommending that the project switch to Perforce, or is this
> just wishful thinking?

Well... both I guess.  But given our reality its more of the later.

> Also, one more note on the merging -- If we change the directory
> layout in the branch, it will be very hard to merge any patches to
> HEAD into the branch to keep them in sync since all the patch paths
> will be wrong.  I don't see how this can end well.  Unless there's a
> freeze in HEAD for the duration of the branch, which would mean we're
> just using the branch to work around RTC.

The reason why I mention it over and over... is that Perforce can
handle automating a bunch of this work.

For example, to solve the issue you mention about patches.  If you
know the change number that the patch was done against, then you
could create a new temporary branch based on that change number, then
apply the patch, and then merge the private branch back into the
trunk.  Perforce is smart enough to realize what needs to merge and
what has been merged already since it tracks integrations.  It also
knows what been moved and deleted and when you merge the changes will
follow the code wherever it was moved to.

It really is an excellent tool... for highly branched and dynamic
environments Perforce really shines.

--jason