geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: m2migration branch - thoughts?
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:13:28 GMT
On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:43 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> I found it invaluable to track my work locally and be able to merge
> in trunk changes and produce patches, but IIRC none of the patches
> I produced could be applied by patch.  So, it would probably help
> single developers but might not improve communication or enable
> review.

I just re-read this... why were the patches you produced not able to
be applied?

Did SVK generate bunk patches?

  * * *

 From what I have read so far, I *think* that using SVK *might* work
to perform the branch sync'ing.

I'm going to test it out tomorrow; something like....

Create a faux-trunk and branch to test with and not taint the real
trunk or branch:

svn cp https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk https://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/trunk
svn cp https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/
trunk https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/
m2migration

Then I'm going to setup SVK to mirror both of these new branches...
which I think ends up looking like:

svk cp https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/
trunk trunk
svk cp https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/
m2migration m2migration

But, I'm only going to use SVK to sync... not apply changes, so I
will apply the GERONIMO-2161 patch to https://svn.apache.org/repos/
asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/m2migration and then commit with SVN

Then sync the SVK mirrors...

And then smerge m2migration to trunk with SVK (svk push).  Should
also be able to test smerge trunk to m2migration to test how branch
refreshing works (svk pull).

Found this email which leads me to believe that this will work:

     http://rt.openfoundry.org/Foundry/Project/Forum/List.html/wws/
arc/svk-dev/2005-02/msg00035.html

I might ping folks in #svk on freenode too and see what they have to
say about using SVK in this manner.

--jason