geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does each module really need LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt?
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:58:26 GMT

On Jul 17, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Well, I think adding the files to every module is potentially a
> problem.  I think the release should have a central place all
> modules derive their LICENSE file from.  The NOTICIES file is a
> different animal.

Matt,
What "modules" are you referring to? All of our generated jar files
(.e.g geronimo-kernel-1.1.jar) should contain LICENSE and NOTICE
files. Hrrm, I just looked at two 1.1 jars and they only contain
LICENSE files.

We also need a LICENSE and NOTICE file at the base of our
distributions. These should contain all necessary license and notice
information for all of the Geronimo code built and included in our
distribution. The license and notice file also need to contain
license and notice information for all jar files, or other artifacts,
that we include in our distribution (e.g. asm jar, castor jar, etc...).

Or, are you instead referring to "modules" as in CAR's? If so, then
they are a different animal. However, I don't think we're released
from any licensing requirements.

Given the guidelines in http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-
must-every-release-contain (see the "Can I distribute a raw
artifact?" section at the bottom), I think that any downloadable
artifact (distribution, car, jar, war, ear, etc) that we "release" to
ibiblio should have appropriate license and notice files
(alternatively, we stop releasing the artifact).

--kevan