geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VMware on GBuild?
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:43:11 GMT

On Jul 31, 2006, at 12:46 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> Just back online after OSCON. Reading/replying on this thread one
> at a time.
>
> On Jul 28, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in setting up VMware Server on my GBuild boxes, since
>> my understanding is that the TCK is pretty single-threaded and we
>> ought to get better utilization out of the (dual-CPU) machines if we
>> ran the host plus one VM or just two VMs (and forget about the host)
>> on each box.
>
> I've been wanting to try that as well.  Pretty much for the same
> reasons you mention (more utilization, more test results), and also
> that we could maybe start getting certification numbers for other
> OSs depending on how we did it.
>
> Obviously, the "other OS" concept would require VMWare whereas we
> might get away with just Xen if we simply wanted to expand our
> number of test hosts.
>
>> It sounds like memory might be the constraining feature -- my boxes
>> have 1.5, 2, and 4 GB respectively and I wonder whether splitting the
>> smaller ones in half would leave enough RAM for the TCK to run.
>> Would
>> 512 or 768 be enough?
>
> To my memory, 512 isn't enough.  I seem to recall 1g being the
> general, finger in the wind, of size.  We could experiment as it
> has been a while and our server has changed a bit.

Currently, we're running w/ min heap of 512 Megs and max of 1024. No
idea if we can get by with less... May be a toss up as to whether
we're processor or memory constrained...

Currently, I'm much more interested in increasing test throughput
rather than testing multiple OS's. So, Xen could be an option.
However, if VMware gives us options for both, then that seems great.

--kevan