geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: m2 error: Configuration already exists...
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 22:44:23 GMT

On Jul 1, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Bummer... highly sucky that we must clean to make a build.   Stuff
> like this negates some of the intelligence the build uses to reduce
> the amount of work (and time to execute).
>
> In general I recommend that a normal build never need to clean,
> move or delete files, so that steps that have completed previously
> do not need to be redone (where applicable).
>
> Anyways, not a major issue right now, but going forward we will
> want to clean this up.

This requires careful analysis of what files determine the content of
a car file.  If all versions are specified in
explicit_versions.properties, geronimo-dependency.xml inside jars,
the pom, or the plan, then explicit_versions.properties, pom.xml, and
the plan might be sufficient.  However if there are any snapshot jars
in use, if any of those have changed you need to rebuild.  If there
is an unspecified version anywhere, you need to check if there is a
newer version than was used previously.  Since this might have been
downloaded from somewhere else, and built well before the last build,
I'm not sure that timestamp comparison will work... I'm not sure how
dates get set when you copy or move a file.  I can't say i'm very
attracted to trying to make this logic foolproof: building all the
configs all the time seems a bit more reliable to me.

>  * * *
>
> Is it the local module's target than needs to be cleaned?

yes

> If so, we can add a step that runs before car to invoke the clean
> plugin's clean goal.  This is only a short-term fix though, I do
> not recommend that we start adding this pre-cleaning anywhere else.

The assemblies should in my experience also be cleaned first, or you
tend to get into trouble if you remove a car from the assembly.
Timestamp checking could help here too, but again this isn't
something I have a burning desire to experiment with.

thanks
david jencks