geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <>
Subject Re: Maven2 Conversation Status
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:22:46 GMT
On Jul 20, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
> IMHO, until its all completely functional and working, I would not
> wage
> a +1 for moving it in and deprecating 1.0.  If you are interested in
> moving in POMs and plugins, then I would be amenable to that.
> However,
> I would not at all be amenable to any sort of deprecation until the M2
> build is 100% functional.

What does 100% cover exactly?

  * * *

Before when we had talked about removing the m1 build from /trunk the
objections were that the m2 build was not functional enough for folks
to work with it on unrelated features/fixes.

I do not believe that this is the case anymore.  I believe that the
m2 build is quite functional enough for normal development.

What I am concerned about is the longer we keep m1 and m2 around, the
larger the gap is going to get between the two systems.  They already
produce slightly different outputs and there is no way to get them to
be 100% identical due to the dependency requirements for m1 vs. m2

Do we run the TCK against the m1 build?  or the m2 build?  or both?
That would be a large waste of time and resource IMO.

The end goal is to use m2, and I believe that right now that m2 is
functional enough to replace m1 in /trunk.  It is not 100% perfect
yet... but it is very close.  I believe that it would be the best
direction for the project to really get the m2 work finished by
merging in the m2migration changes and then remove the m1 build (and
the related build artifacts that are left over to support the m1
build that duplicate files for the m2 build).

IMO, the amount of time that it will take to get the m2 build up to
100% will be much, much less if there was *just* the m2 build.
Keeping both around will probably take 2-5x longer to actually
complete to transition.

  * * *

But at the same time I would love to deliver the m2 build at 100%
now... but I think we need more eyes to get there, which means more
developers and PMC members running the build and testing the

I'm positive that you (or someone else) will find something wrong...
and we will fix it... but I don't think (unless you find something
massively broken) that it should block the merge to trunk and
deprecation and removal of the m1 build.

To be clear(er) I am suggesting a staged move...

  1) Merge svkmerge/m2migration to trunk
  2) Deprecate the m1 build (ie... don't use it, use m2, but we leave
the files as it)
  3) Remove the m1 build (as another merge from svkmerge/m2migration
to trunk)

I believe that, with *active* PMC involvement for the required RTC,
that we can complete this process in the next few weeks.

View raw message