geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v1.1.0
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:59:54 GMT

On Jul 11, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2006, at 11:29 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> Sachin,
>> At a minimum, you need to add:
>>
>> OpenEJB, MX4J, and XStream to the root LICENSE file
>
> Which root license file I you referring to? Do I just append each
> license to this?

By root, I meant the notice and license files in g-eclipse-plugin-1-1/
META-INF/. I actually don't think that they should be in the META-INF
dir. I think you should end up with the following when you unzip:

geronimo-eclipse-plugin-1-1/LICENSE
geronimo-eclipse-plugin-1-1/NOTICE   (both license and notice should
either be .txt or have no suffix)
geronimo-eclipse-plugin-1-1/plugins/...
geronimo-eclipse-plugin-1-1/features/...

The additional license and notice information should be appended to
the ASL license and notice info. see geronimo/branches/modules/
scripts/src/resources/LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt (you can just steal
the appropriate sections from these files).

Looks like some of the jar files are still missing LICENSE and NOTICE
files. org.apache.geronimo.v11.deployment.model.edit_1.0.0.jar, for
instance.

--kevan

>> MX4J, and XMLBeans to the root NOTICE file
>
> Again which root?
>

>> Did you investigate Hessian licensing?
>
> Yeah its under Apache 1.0 I think, but could not find a copy of it
> on their site.
>
>> I didn't find any licensing info (at first). So, took a look at
>> the source. The first source file I looked at contained the
>> following:
>>
>> /*
>> * Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Caucho Technology -- all rights reserved
>> *
>> * This file is part of Resin(R) Open Source
>> *
>> * Each copy or derived work must preserve the copyright notice and
>> this
>> * notice unmodified.
>> *
>> * Resin Open Source is free software; you can redistribute it and/
>> or modify
>> * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
>> published by
>> * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>> * (at your option) any later version.
>> *
>> * Resin Open Source is distributed in the hope that it will be
>> useful,
>> * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>> * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, or any
>> warranty
>> * of NON-INFRINGEMENT.  See the GNU General Public License for more
>> * details.
>> *
>> * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>> * along with Resin Open Source; if not, write to the
>> *   Free SoftwareFoundation, Inc.
>> *   59 Temple Place, Suite 330
>> *   Boston, MA 02111-1307  USA
>> *
>> * @author Scott Ferguson
>> */
>>
>> I now see the following statement on their wiki:
>>
>> "Caucho Technology has released this Hessian implementation under
>> an open source license (the Apache license). Anyone may freely
>> download, use, and redistribute the Hessian implementation."
>>
>> But that's the strongest source of licensing info, that I've found...
>>
>> --kevan
>>

>> On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:
>>
>>> Fixed.  Re-vote.
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/g-eclipse-
>>> plugin-1.1-deployable-RC5.zip