geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 07:04:37 GMT
>> Why can't the dependency plugin be used to install the car files?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the dependency plugin.

http://mojo.codehaus.org/dependency-maven-plugin/

It basically handles copying (or unpacking) artifacts and their
dependencies to somewhere other than the repo cache.

> I haven't thought through yet whether using maven dependencies to
> determine what to copy to the repo is likely to work.  The reason
> it's not obvious is that we have a different classloader structure
> than maven, and 2 ways of getting most jars onto the classpath:
> either include the jar directly or import a car that has the jar in
> its classpath.  These have very different effects on how many
> copies of the jar are in use, hence on whether you will get
> surprising class cast exceptions.  When we are building, first we
> built all the jars so there's no chance to use a car just to get a
> set of dependencies into  the classpath as we do in runtime.

Hrm... to bad we don't use ClassWorlds and then just expose the
classworld config... oh well :-(

> I'm not completely sure how it will work out but I think it likely
> that just using the maven  dependencies (if we can get them
> accurate) will supply the correct set of dependencies intalled into
> the g. repo.  It's certainly worth some experimentation.

It sounds like the Maven depends should be sufficient.

--jason