geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: JIRA policy on patches
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:24:11 GMT
On Jul 21, 2006, at 7:03 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> As I've been working to get some of these patches applied to 1.1.1,
> I've noticed most of the patches are still months old and 90% of
> the time when a patch is applied thats the end of the defect thread
> and no comments on the patches are provided.  This I'm sure is very
> frustrating and surely it has to be discouraging community
> participation.  We need to have an immediate change our policy on
> when patches get posted by the community (non-committers
> specifically) that they get assigned to an individiual for review
> ASAP and under no circumstances should a jira that contains a patch
> be unassigned.  All patches must be considered for inclusion in the
> targeted fix version and we cannot continue to let patches dangle
> over multiple releases.  I'm not sure if there would be a way to
> enforce this, except take it upon ourselves to take the time to
> review and comment on contributions from the community.

Short of writing some RPC app to apply some policy... or nag
emails... probably has to be a human process to manage this.

I'm trying to get the JIRA Toolkit plugin installed, which has a
feature to change the color of older issues... which helps a bunch to
see what is old and what is stale.

> So what would be a reasonable time frame that a patch should should
> be reviewed, applied or commented on by? 3-4 days, a week?

Probably a week max... but I'd shoot for 1-3 days for an initial
comment on the issue.

--jason