geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: [RTC] Vote on GERONIMO-2161 - restart 1
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:20:55 GMT

On Jul 6, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Jason Dillon <> wrote:
>> This is applied.
>> :-)
>> Took longer than expected because I happened to switch to a terminal
>> that was set to use JDK 1.5 and I did not realize it... until a few
>> hours later after I was pulling my hair out wondering why the patch
>> god hates me so much.
> It's because it needs a solution as I think you won't be alone in your
> pain of applying patches/changes that are incompatible with the unix
> patch command.
> I think it would be much better if the person who makes a change is
> not the one who commits it to trunk, but the last PMCer who voted for
> it. And a branch the change is built from is established. The solution
> has such a good effect that the person who works on changes don't have
> to worry about the commit date until it's rejected when (s)he or
> anyone else will fix it and a vote starts over (with 24-hour time
> period). Another good effect is that knowing the revisions a change
> that's being voted, one can continue his/her work without worrying
> about disrupting the vote process as the revisions are still in the
> branch. Phew, I do like the idea! ;-)

I think this will have an extremely debilitating and discouraging
effect on everyone involved: no one can commit their own code.  "No
code ownership" is fine, but IMO everyone likes to commit their own
work and say to themselves "I did it".   I think it will also tend to
give the PMC members even more work to do, which they already don't
have time for, and is likely to widen the divide between committers
and PMC members.  It will also be IMO rather confusing: despite
review by 3 PMC members I expect the changes will still be best
understood by their author, and if the author is NEVER the committer,
it will be nearly impossible to find out who was responsible.

david jencks

>> --jason
> Jacek
> --